Youth Excelling in Learning Leadership, also known as YELL, is a youth leadership program designed to provide youth with an inside look into the many facets of our community, meet the people who make it happen and explore business and career opportunities for their future. This leadership program is the result of a Business Leadership class project and launched in 2002.
Who Can Join?
Students attending McGavock High School, Donelson Christian Academy and Tennessee School for the Blind or students participating in a home school program in the McGavock Cluster are encouraged to be part of this exciting program. Applications are made available to the schools and home school co-ops in our communities in the early fall. Eligible students are high school juniors, and each school/co-op has a teacher sponsor who attends all activities. Activities begin in September of each school year.
• Assure that all participants are seen and heard in equal ways
• Provide youth the opportunity to hear from and interact with decision makers in the community
• Instill a sense of commitment and pride in their community
• Expose participants to leaders in the area
• Broaden participants understanding of leadership
• Create, through the activities and programs of YELL, a fun, exciting and life-lasting experience for each participant
• Inspire each individual to make a difference
• Enhance leadership skills
• Encourage participants to advocate on quality of life issues