In My Life with Floyd Shechter
April 20 @ 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Join us for an intimate dinner and dialogue celebrating Floyd Shechter and his many contributions to our community.
Floyd Shechter is the owner and CEO of SmartSpace, LLC, in Nashville, Tennessee. The company was formed in January of 1993 and is involved in the acquisition, construction, disposition, financing, leasing and ownership of commercial and residential real estate. The company owns, leases and operates 750,000 square feet of adaptive reuse and infill development commercial office space in Nashville, Tennessee.
Floyd graduated in 1976 with a B.A. and in 1979 with a Juris Doctor degree from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. He has completed post graduate training at the American Institute of Banking and the Costa Institute of Real Estate Finance at the Edwin Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University. From 1979 to 1985 Mr. Shechter was actively engaged in the private practice of commercial law in St. Louis, Missouri.
From 1985 to 1988 he was Assistant General Counsel and subsequently Senior Vice President and Manager of the Special Credits Group at Independent American Bank in Dallas, Texas. From 1988 to 1992 Mr. Shechter was the Senior Vice President of Metropolitan Federal Bank in Nashville, Tennessee where he initiated and managed the Special Credits Division of the Bank.
Floyd is married to Brenda A. Gadd and they have two married sons and five grandchildren.
SmartSpace, LLC., is actively engaged in value play investing and the adaptive re-use and infill development of commercial real estate. The company is known locally for the acquisition and conversion of the former Donelson Hospital campus into Donelson Corporate Centre. The property consists of three buildings totaling 233,000 square feet of office space on 22 acres. SmartSpace also completed the acquisition and conversion of the former Factory Stores of America outlet mall in Donelson from retail to office space. The project now known as Two Rivers Corporate Centre contains 283,789 square feet of office space in three buildings on 33 acres. In 2017 the company repurposed a two story 1960’s era commercial structure on Lebanon Road in Donelson into the corporate HQ and 3rd location of Party Fowl Restaurant (Nashville Hot Chicken).
Since 1996, SmartSpace has invested more than $50 Million Dollars in equity capital and has placed in excess of $80 Million dollars of debt capital in commercial real estate projects the company owns and operates in Nashville Tennessee. The company is a member of NAIOP, the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce and the Donelson Hermitage Chamber of Commerce.
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Leadership Donelson Hermitage (L’Evate) (Class of 2000); Leadership Donelson-Hermitage Board Chair 2010; Chair of Selection Committee 2016.
- Leadership Nashville (Class of 2003).
- Leadership Middle Tennessee (Class of 2008), Board of Directors 2011-2017;
- Executive Board of Directors Middle Tennessee Council, Boy Scouts of America (2004-2016).
- Woodbine Community Organization Board of Directors 2009-2022
- Lipscomb University School of Business Board of Visitors 2010-present
- USBank Advisory Board of Directors State of Tennessee (2003-2009)
- Board of Directors of the Donelson-Hermitage Chamber of Commerce (2002-2011). Director of the Economic & Community Development Division of the D-H Chamber (2007-2008). Treasurer 2010.
- Gateway Donelson Community Improvement Project 2009-2021, Board Chair 2010-2012
- HipDonelson Board of Directors 2016-2019.
- Businessman of the Year in Donelson-Hermitage (2002).
- Business of the Year in Donelson-Hermitage (2011)
- Chair of the Board of Directors of The Keeton Theatre (2008-2009).
- Chair of the Board of The Jewish Federation of Nashville and Middle Tennessee (2002-2004).
- Board of Directors United Jewish Communities (NYC) 2003-2006